evaluating sdbd. crown & bridge downbearings in a new piano

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 08:58:08 +0200

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> >Ron or somebody... would you please tell me where the two numbers I have
> >italisized and in bold text below ?? The rest is easy enough to follow.  :)
> >
> >Richard Brekne
>
> Well, first off, I use a plain ASCII text mail reader, by choice, so italics
> and bold are just another couple of HTML codes among the other hundreds of
> HTML codes in the duplicated second half of the posts that use the format.
> Not being able to tell for sure what numbers you are referring to, I assume
> you mean the   Angle = 57.29578*(riblength/radius), and PanelTop =
> 0.017453*(radius+(ribheight/2)+PanelThickness)*angle. formulae. These are
> both common enough to be found in a lot of different technical references. I
> just substituted rib length for chord, and adjusted the radii to represent
> the arc segment length relative to the rib length.

the 57.29578 and the 0.017453 are then constants ?  and these represent what ?

> I'm not remotely smart
> enough to make this stuff up, if that's what you're asking. I've been
> collecting engineering and technical reference books for many years from
> estate sales and such.

Oh.. you are a pretty bright fellow alright Ron.. <grin>. But I have too much
respect for you to assume you'd just make these up. You couldnt recommend any
good technical reference books (you know my approximate level in these issues)
aside from the one you mention below ?

> Some of them have proven to be useful enough to have
> been well worth the dollar or so I pay for them. Some not. I find it quite
> comforting to be able to work things out for myself when I have no absolute
> authoratative source. It gives me the illusion of understanding how some
> things work. Both of these happened to come from the New Departure Handbook,
> which just happened to be the first place I found them when I went looking.
> Now if I could figure a way to pound calculus into a brain that has no
> detectable calculus receptors, I could work out a few more of the questions
> that have been gnawing at me these many years.
>
>  Ron N

Grin.. I started Calculus two years ago and quickly found I had to backtrack a
bit. Will be starting up again this spring sememester. Also had to back wayyyy
up in physics.. all the way back to 2nd year high school. But am on my way. Just
cant sit still anymore. You're "old" brain is probably much more capable of this
stuff then you give it credit for.. but its a time consuming pain in the butt to
bring the appropriate circuits back on line. :)

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway