evaluating sdbd. crown & bridge downbearings in a new piano

Frank Weston klavier@annap.infi.net
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 11:41:32 -0400

Ron wrote:

Calculations..... and then asked:

>If my math is incorrect, please correct me. I need all the help I can get
>with math. Also, I realise that this isn't exact to the four decimal places
>shown, primarily because bending the rib in an arc shortens the chord
>measurement from which the computations are taken. Taking this into
account,
>the actual figures would be minutely different, but I assumed that a
>hundredth of a millimeter or so wouldn't invalidate the illustration.

Ron, your math is probably pretty good, although I didn't spend the time to
check it.  However, the premise behind doing all the math leaves me a little
in doubt.  The bottom line of the drill you set forth hinges on knowing
"springback" for a make believe panel.  Since we don't know any of this, we
can't very well draw conclusions.  All in all it makes very little sense to
attempt to prove with numbers what can't first be demonstrated logically.

Frank Weston