evaluating sdbd. crown & bridge downbearings in a new piano

Frank Weston klavier@annap.infi.net
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 12:05:08 -0400

Ron wrote:

>In an old Knabe I rebuilt early this year, the top five ribs were built up
>in two layers. The main body was flat along it's length, and had a thinner
>strip glued on top, that was about 6mm thick in the center, and 2 or 3mm at
>the ends. These pretty much had to be crowned ribs.

I have rebuilt a lot of old Knabes.  I'm rebuilding a 1910 now.  I have
never encountered one with a crowned rib.  Were you working with the
original soundboard?

>Also, Both Yamaha, and Kawai crown their ribs.

You may be correct on this one, but it's news to me.  Can someone confirm
this?

Frank Weston