evaluating sdbd. crown & bridge downbearings in a new piano

Frank Weston klavier@annap.infi.net
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 08:46:05 -0400

Richard,

You have served as a wonderful goad to this discussion, but ultimately =
there comes a time when you must commit to an opinion of your own.  What =
will it be?

In a nutshell, my argument is that a traditionally crowned soundboard =
can be constructed such that the top of the board is in tension.  I am =
not disputing that with drying and manipulation of humidity that the top =
can be made to be under less tension, or even compression.  What I am =
arguing is that the final stress distribution DEPENDS on starting and =
ending humidity of all parts.  Further, if the top of a board starts in =
tension and the bottom in compression, as it is loaded by downbearing, =
the tension/compression load will be decreased.  Finally, it is my =
opinion, that because of the way it responds to load, a traditionally =
crowned soundboard will just sound better (this point is pure opinion, =
and I won't argue further).  Others have made these same arguments in =
the past and have tired of butting their heads against the wall of =
pedagogy and sycophancy.  I now begin to understand their fatigue.

I will not address a situation in which parts are assembled under =
differing and controlled humidity.  There are too many variables, and =
too many correct answers in such a situation.  Stress in the board will =
vary, and it will depend.

Here is an experiment I conducted in my shop yesterday.  I selected a =
room dried strip of sitka spruce, made pencil marks on it 18 inches from =
the end.  I bent the spruce to an approximate 3' radius and glued a rib =
to the bottom.  When I measured the top of the spruce, I found that the =
pencil mark position indicated the top had stretched approximately 1/16 =
inch, and the bottom had compressed about as much.  This model indicates =
to me that the top is in tension and the bottom in compression. =20

I then placed the model between constraints at each end and loaded the =
top.  As the load increased, the line on the spruce showed me that =
tension in the top was decreasing.  I loaded the model to failure.  The =
rib failed first, and the failure was the most beautiful textbook =
indication of a failure in tension on the top and compression on the =
bottom (if you don't know what this kind of failure looks like, buy a =
box of chalk and break a few pieces in different ways - the most =
interesting is when you break it by twisting).  Because of one of =
Newton's laws, we might deduce that the soundboard was experiencing =
equal and opposite loads when the rib failed.

If you care to construct such a model, I'm sure your results would be =
similar.  If you would like to see pictures, I will consider putting =
them up on a photo site.  If the actual physical demonstration of the =
main point I am arguing does not convince, then I fear we must promote =
this discussion to the level of religion where issues are resolved on =
the basis of faith and personality.

Frank Weston