evaluating sdbd. crown & bridge downbearings in a new piano

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 09:46:45 -0400

Hi Ron,

Gee, I hope I'm not sticking my nose into a place it doesn't belong, but I
had a thought as to how you might determine if a board was rib crowned.

If you look at the grain of most ribs, it'll be pretty straight.  If the rib
was machine crowned, I would think you would see 'end grain' popping up
along the length of the rib on the side that was glued to the soundboard.
(Assuming that the board is out and the rib is off.)  Not real easy to see,
but I think it could be done.  Also, you could likely see some of the grain
lines on the side of the rib.  That would also likely give a clue or two.
Using the back of the rib (the side fartherest from the glue joint) could be
deceiving, since not all of them were the same.  Some used ribs of the same
thickness from end to end, and some used ribs that were machined on the top
and flat on the bottom.

But you probably already thought of all of this stuff long ago... :-)

Have a good day,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net