Bare Bridge

Tue, 28 Sep 1999 22:40:39 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: ginacarter <ginacarter@email.msn.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 1999 3:26 PM
Subject: Bare Bridge

> All,
>
> Today I tuned an August Forster, 6 month old grand, model 170 (5"7"). Nice
> piano, nice tone, nothing unusual except..tada..a bare bridge, no
graphite,
> no kind of lubrication that I could see. Beautiful piece of wood,
startling
> in contrast to what I usually see on bridges. This piano tuned up very
> nicely and easily. My question is do any of you know if there is a
> lubricant, obviously invisible,  on the bridge. And if there isn't, then
why
> do most other manufacturers put something there?
>
> Gina

---------------------------------

Gina,

Let's see now.  We put bridge pins in there and stagger them so that the
string will be offset by about 10º to 12º or so.  Then we worry about
whether or not there is adequate lubrication on the top of the bridge body.

I've wondered about this from time to time, but I don't have any definitive
answer.  Is any lubrication really necessary?  If so, why?  Just how much
string movement across the top of the bridge is there after the piano is
strung and at pitch?

Is that enough to start another flurry of posts?

Regards,

Del