Bridal Straps Married

LTpianoman@AOL.COM LTpianoman@AOL.COM
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 03:20:56 EDT

     The common speculation is that the strap is exclusively for keeping the
whippen from falling down after action removal. This belief probably takes
root in the fact that, while in the piano, the strap doesn't interact with
any parts (except for the Wood/Brooks 90-degree action) and is non-funtional.
But how do we know what was going through the mind of the Father of the
Bridal Strap (apologies) - maybe it was one of those, "Oh, look what else it
does" things. I say this because it seems there could have been another
reason for them...like maybe to INTENTIONALLY lift the whippens on a soft
pedal execution. In my experimenting it seemed that when the strap lifts the
whippen during soft pedal, there is more control over the hammer's force (no
lost motion), better repetition, and a wider range of dynamic control.  But
of course there is the trade off of lost motion vs. a more shallow dip. But
since it was most likely designed for pp passages, the trade off is a better
deal.
I think.

Larry Trischetta, Pocono NE Chapter
Scranton, PA