Bald Ham Pitch Swing

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 13:14:49 -0700 (MST)

HI Stan:

The reason the Tenor section moves more than the other sections is because
the bridge has fewer strings per lineal inch to resist the crown rise
effect of the humidity. You will notice that the bridge notchings are
fanned out more in the midrange. In the high treble the strings are grouped
closer together and are more perpendicular to the bridge. In the Bass
bridge the strings are perpendicular to the bridge, more or less.

You will also notice that the two notes with wound
strings at the bottom of the Tenor bridge do not change as much. This is
because they are at a much higher tension than the plain wire strings above.

Jim Coleman, Sr.