Bald Ham Pitch Swing

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Thu, 30 Sep 99 18:29:48 +1000

Hi list,

Stan Kroeker wrote:

>Not quite sure I fully understand what is going on when humidity changes
>cause pitch fluctuation.  Ya, ya...I know...humidity goes up, soundboard
>swells, crown rises, string tensions increase...but... it is always the
>lowest tenor strings (10-15 unisons?) which are affected disproportionally
>to the rest of the scale . . . . . . . . . Weird things often happen on either
>side of the treble (strut) break as well.
>
>Some pianos exhibit extraordinary pitch swings . . . .   Is there more to
>this phenomenon than the soundboard swells or shrinks?

Yes there is!

The lower tenor and either side of the treble (strut) break are, in many
pianos, designed with string lengths which produce wide variations in the
percentage of breaking strain when at pitch. This will result in the
pitch deviating more in response to soundboard movement when humidity
changes. Furthure, if the downbearing angle lacks uniformity these pitch
variation will be more pronounced.

We have measured over fifty different piano scales over the years. There
is a definite relationship between the overall deviation in the
percentage of breaking strain, and the tuning stabilitiy. While other
factors also have an influence, the most carefully manufactured piano
with a large deviation of breaking strain will always exhibit poor tuning
stability,  eg. Yamaha U3.

The Yamaha C7F, which has much less breaking strain deviation when
compared to previous models, has much improved tuning stability.

A comparison of the scales of a Kawai KG6 and a Steinway model D will
show that the Kawai has apprximately 10% less deviation in the percentage
of breaking strain accross the scale. A well rebuilt KG6 will always
exhibit superior tuning stability to a well rebuilt model D. It is all a
matter of scale.

Regards to all,

Ron E. Overs

Email: ron@overspianos.com.au