Bald Ham Pitch Swing

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Fri, 1 Oct 99 00:21:03 +1000

Hi Gina and all,

My original post contained:

>> The lower tenor and either side of the treble (strut) break are, in many
>> pianos, designed with string lengths which produce wide variations in the
>> percentage of breaking strain when at pitch. >>

Gina Carter's reply contained:

>This is the first time I've heard the term "breaking strain." I am assuming
>that it means something like near to its maximum tensile strength. Am I
>close?
>
>Gina

You are indeed.

Measure the string speaking lengths, core and cover diameters for all
notes on a given piano. Record these figures into a suitable spreadsheet.
Utilising a formula derived from Youngs law, you can calculate the
tension of the unison strings of each note. Each  note when at pitch,
will have a string tension which can be expressed as a percentage of the
breaking strain (ie. the tension at which the wire will, in all
probability, break) of the core wire for that note.

If you construct a graph within your spreadsheet, with the percentage of
breaking strain for each note on the vertical axis, and the note number
on the horizontal axis, you will find that the variation in percentage of
breaking strain is indeed considerable across the compass of the
instrument.

If you graph a typical 6 foot grand piano (say a C3 Yamaha) you will find
that:

1) The extreme top treble is strung at around 65% to 70% of breaking
strain (C88 typically of 5.3 cm [2.086"] speaking length, strung with 0.8
mm [31.5 thou - Westphalia gauge] dia. wire)

2) As the break sections are approached, the percentage of breaking
strain will tend to fall noticeably adjacent to the treble side of the
plate bar, whereas it will be much higher on the bass side of that bar -
hence the typical tuning instability adjacent to the frame bars.

3) At the last note on the long bridge before the crossover (often at,
say, note B27 - a poor choice - D30 with a string length of 117 cm would
be better), the piano designer will have 'run out of piano' and the
bridge, which was running nicely down the centre of the soundboard, will
now turn perhaps six notes before the break, abruptly towards the bass
side of the rim. The tension in this area will fall disastrously, perhaps
to as low as 25% of breaking strain at the break note. This typical
scenario is also commonplace on seven foot grands, where many designers
insist on running the last long bridge note down to as low as F21 (just
because it works on a concert grand with an F21 of 183 cm [72"] speaking
length, doesn't mean automatically that we should 'put our head in the
sand' and build a seven foot grand with an F21 speaking length of 145 cm
[57.1"] - it never works - except in piano brochures).

If you graph the percentage of breaking strain for several different
pianos, you will notice that the percentage of breaking strain curves
vary considerably from piano to piano.

I first discovered this phenomenon in the late seventies when doing a lot
of recording studio tuning. Most of the studios in Sydney were equipped
with Yamaha C7s (Bs primarily). This model has a tuning instability at
note F21 which is as poor as anything in the business. Fortunately, the
C7Fs are a marked improvement in this regard (these break at G23-G#24).

I noticed that these Sydney studio C7s tended to be unstable on
particular weeks - all of them together. Now if the instability was due
to pianists thrashing the pianos, then the problem would tend to be
random. But they all tended to be 'out' on the same week, while at other
times they would be fine. I realised that the instability occurred only
when there was a change in the weather from humid and wet to fine and
dry, or vice versa.

Not only was climate associated with this tuning instability, but it
tended to occur only in specific areas of the scale, ie. those areas
where the percentage of breaking strain deviated most.

If you build a data base of scales from pianos with good and poor tuning
stability, you will find that the percentage of breaking strain deviation
is a critical stability indicator. After some experience, you will be
able to predict the inherent stability for a given piano, just by looking
'in the lid'.

Sorry for the length of this post.

Regards to all,

Ron E. Overs