Wurlitzer Grands

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 08:39:46 -0500

"Paul S. Larudee" wrote:

> Wimblees@AOL.COM wrote:
> >
> > Wurlitzers are now manufactured by Samick for Baldwin. For the price, they
> > are not bad.
>
> In other words, they're bad but cheap.  I'm opposed to anything made by
> Samick.  Young Chang is a much better compromise between price and
> quality.

I must agree here.  I used to work for a dealer who sold Kohler & Campbell,
(Samick),  and I have been very disappointed in the quality of craftsmanship on
these things.  I would never recommend them to my clients, (at least until I see
a dramatic change in design and quality).  I have yet to see a new one out of
the box anywhere close to proper regulation and some darn right bad and beyond.
I had one which required two days of work, (including regluing the leg sleeve
joints), before it was sellable.  Even then it was a disappointing
"instrument".  Don't look for too many dealers honest and caring enough to do
this before the sale!  If one's budget requires shopping for a low cost asian
piano I must recommend Young Change hands down.  The quality of their product
has dramatically improved over the last decade and they generally come out of
the box in pretty decent regulation, (at least in my experience).  By all means
if someone tries to sell you a Pearl River or any piano made by them under a
different name, (ask), run like the wind!

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV