checkering file & bridle strape tool

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 12:13:38 EDT

In a message dated 9/30/1999 11:04:38 AM, pneely@thegrid.net writes:

<< 1. what is the cuts per inch on the ideal  file for hammer tails >>

Pat;
 As for the bridle strap tool I don't know but as for the "checkering file" I
am of the opinion that "checkering" should not be done to hammer tails.  A
sanding paddle, or some such, covered with 80 to 100 grit carbide paper
should be used for best results.
  The best checking results for grand hammers comes through a combination of
felt compaction/wire flexing/grain orientation of backcheck leather/ angle of
backcheck/shape & arc of the hammer tail. " Roughing" the tail of a hammer,
as with a "checkering file" does little to improve the checking of a hammer
long term and is contraindicated for excellent checking and optimum
performance.
My opinion.
 Jim Bryant (FL)