ETD as crutch: grrr (practical advice)

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 21:13:14 -0600

> 3. Octaves: Make sure A4 is stable. Tune A3 to it purely by sound, without
> checks. Use aural tests to determine what kind of octave you tuned (2:1,
4:2,
> 6:3...). It's likely to be between 4:2 and 6:3. If you are not comfortable
> with this terminology or concept, your aural tuning can not be fully
refined.
> All good tuners tune aurally, whether or not they use a box. However, the
box
> can be used by tuners of any level to measure whether our intent is
matched
> by our execution.
> Keep on pitchin',
> Bob Davis

As long as you know the tests, octave, double octave, tenth, "double tenth",
octave and fifth, triple octave, Octave-octave, knowing the coincidents is
extra credit.   Personally I like the octave LH and a Fifth in RH played
above that and reverse that.  What those numbers are don't ask me.  Some
tests are a waste of time on some pianos.  It doesn't matter what the
numbers are, you have to hear what the instrument is giving.   And of course
you have to realize when what you are hearing is not the same as what you
want to hear. To learn with machines it does seem you have to know the
numbers.  I don't know what they would do with test intervals of more than 2
notes.
      Of course it is possible to learn wo machines.  But  for those
learning from machines it is there  when the teacher isn't.  And even
"cheap" devices are  more useful in setting pitch than the fork.  However to
learn from the the machine instead of the master, the sophism "your tuning
can not be fully refined." would apply.  -----ric