Pure Tone Strings

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 00:21:15 EST

<<In fact the very high stiffness (young's modulus) of modern high carbon
steel, or indeed iron with any appreciable carbon content,>>

<<Which explains why even the moden repro wire just doesn't sound like old
iron...any carbon in wire and young's modulus goes way up, even a bit. >>

Stephen;
 I thought that iron was high in carbon content (4% +) and that steel was
made from iron ore when the impurities, carbon, sulfur, etc., were driven off
via some process...with differing grades of 'steel' having differring alloy
materials i.e. brass, copper, nickle, carbon introduced into the mix as
desired.  "High carbon steel" contains 1.5% +/- carbon content and above 2%
it is considered iron...isn't it?  Perhaps I am missing something vis a vis
"iron strings".
Jim Bryant (FL)