plate removal on Steinway L

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Sat, 01 Apr 2000 11:01:01 -0500

At 10:30 AM 04/01/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Plate removal on the L is complicated by the fact that removal of some
>wood is required at the left front inner rim.  Why they didn't make a
>'screw-on' spacer in stead of a 'glue-on' spacer, I will never know.
>
>What have some of you had the most luck with?  Instead of chiseling off
>the entire wedge-shaped spacer, I was considering just cutting out the
>4-5 inches required to allow the plate to come up, then gluing it back in
>after the plate is back in.  This is an ebony job, so wood coloring and
>matching is not a problem.
>
>Any simpler ideas?
>
>Mark Potter
>bases-loaded@juno.com

Only the wooden slides rails have to come off.
If the bass slide support is still in the way, angle the plate to remove.

Removing the support block would be a real pain.

I have two l's in the shop now and have had no difficulty at all.

Regards,
Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net