plate removal on Steinway L

Sat, 1 Apr 2000 11:46:12 -0500

On Sat, 1 Apr 2000 11:23:36 EST BobDavis88@AOL.COM writes:
> jonpage writes:
>
> > Only the wooden slides rails have to come off.
> >  If the bass slide support is still in the way, angle the plate to
> remove.
>
> Agreed. Don't spend too much time trying to get these out intact, as
> for some
> reason the grain tends to wander. HOWEVER, tapping them downward and
> upward
> with a hammer against a block of wood will increase your chances of
> breaking
> them at the joint instead of into a dozen pieces.
> Bob Davis

Actually, the thin rails (glides) the music rack slides on DO screw off
on this L, so that is not the problem.  The problem is the wedge-shaped
piece that is built up from the left side that the rail is screwed to.
It tapers down to nothing at the extreme front end, but is a good 3/4"
thick going back the 18 " or so to its termination.  It is app. 1 1/2 -
2" wide.  This piece is definitely in the road for the plate, although
only by about 1/8" or so.   BUT,  the nose bolts will not go down far
enough to allow for angling of the plate away from the left side and out
from underneath this shelf.

Either nose bolts will have to go down WAY further than I can make them,
or wood will have to be removed from this wedge.

Or I could call a magician.  Know any?

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com