Quality in Pianos

Low Sye Yuan zenyu@singnet.com.sg
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 18:23:55 +0800

Both Steinway and Bosendorfer GRANDS deserve top honours for their =
consistency in quality and excellent product image. However, I have to =
say that Yamaha has never attained the level of Germany made piano. =
Thus,I am somehow puzzled as to why Yamaha and Kawai are perceived as =
equivalents to Steinway and Bose. in the States. Because here in Asia, =
they are, generally speaking, treated as beginner-class pianos. This =
might be due to the way Yamaha and Kawai exports its products; as the =
Asian market receives Yamahas with parts gathered from Indonesia and =
later assembled elsewhere. This caused the general public over here to =
discount Yamaha a little.  Only the 100% made in Japan Yamahas deserve =
top scores for their quality, though they still are far behind the =
Germany made ones, in terms of 'perceived quality' and brand image.
I would however, rank Yamaha(100% Japan made) together with Schimmel and =
place it above the other Eastern European mades without hesitation. I'm =
kinda surprised as to the inclusion of August Forester into your third =
class. Most techs and non-techs alike have praised Forester for its =
unique tone and strong construction. Even Larry Fine in his book refers =
to it as a high quality piano. Personally, I would rate it in the same =
category as Steingraeber & Sohns, Feurich and one level above Seiler and =
Sauter.
The pianos that I am refering to above are all grands. For uprights, I =
am really impressed with Sauter and maybe Bluthner. The reason why I do =
not endorse Bechstein, Bosendorfer and Steinway uprights, is because of =
the way they themselves advertise their pianos. By strongly promoting on =
their grands, they are in fact telling the consumers that,' We make 1st =
class grands, buy our uprights if you don't have the money' I mean they =
are in fact degrading their uprights, which is why all of the techs. =
here say to buy a Steinway( or Bechstein or Bose) upright is one's =
greatest folly.=20
Richard, have you encountered any problem with the regulation and =
maintainance of the R2 mechanism as some of our friends on this list =
have?=20
Any comments on the quality of the various germany made uprights is =
greatly appreciated?

..Zeng
  ----- Original Message -----=20