c5

Tue, 4 Apr 2000 21:48:19 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Stephen Birkett <birketts@wright.aps.uoguelph.ca>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: April 04, 2000 9:10 PM
Subject: Re: c5

> Ron wrote:
> > Who said 50 mm was too long? Sure wasn't me. I scale over 50 mm
> > with bridge replacement, and I've seen over 55 mm in modern grands.
> >
> Not sure Ron. I seem to recall someone said they had had trouble with
> breakage taking c5 over 50 mm to improve tone. Maybe I recalled wrong.
> Steinway is 50.
>
> Stephen

Steinways tend to run from 48 to 50 mm as do most pianos that were designed
in the late 1800s/early 1900s.  This is one of those things that has been
changing over the years.  It is not unusual to find some scales now with
speaking lengths of 54 to 56 mm at c5.  I measured one at 58.  Yes, it was
prone to breakage, but not as much as you might think.

Del