Piano Tilter Design Features

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 15:48:19 -0500

>.  One of the items I could really use
> is a decent shop tilter
> Tom Robinson

I made mine out of wood.  The actual "tilter" portion is ply wood cut to a
24 inch radius
This will give a tilted piano 24 inches from the ground.   If you need it
higher, make it a 28 inch radius.  However at this diminsion you are close
to the balance point of a 48 inch upright (ummm 28 and 28 is 56, get the
picture?) (they are a little top heavy) and the console won't balance.  To
counter this
you could devise a prop.
    I  have a video of the details construction and operation of mine. I
would like $15 for that.  Or since I have a scanner I could see how it scans
a drawing and email that.
    There are tricky details like the cleat that goes under the piano and
the snafu's that can occur with this.   Also you can raise the cleat to
tilt off and onto a dolly.    I found mine easy and fun to
build.  All you need is a sabre saw and hand drill some 2x4's half a sheet
of plywood. screws.
---ric