Pedal function Was: Re: Pitch at breaking points

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Wed, 05 Apr 2000 19:51:07 -0700

There are a lot of uprights, both old and new, that have some sort of a
mute or practice pedal and I've thought it curious that there are no
grand pianos, in my experience, similarly equipped.

But recently, I looked into the action cavity of a gray market G3
Yamaha, about 5 years old, and noticed that it had a
vertically-positioned felt strip running along the damper guide rail.
Looking under the keybed, I saw what looked like a parking brake handle
which, when pulled, swung the felt up into a horizontal position between
hammers and strings.

Tom
--
Thomas A. Cole, RPT