Quality in Pianos

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT agilreath@mindspring.com
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 00:33:30 -0400

Richard,

First - I should apologize to the list for not signing my original post with
a signature other than my "Institute" tag line.  Any opinion that I state in
a message such as that one or this one is strictly my own and not that of
the Institute or the PTG.  (I wouldn't pretend to speak for an entire
oranization.)

Second - My point was not to categorize piano brands but rather that
categorizing by brand is extremely difficult to do.  Many brands have
varying quality in the line while each individual piano differs.  The
message I was trying to send is that the work done by the technician both on
the dealer floor and after the piano is in its new home is far more
important than any brand, reputation or opinion.  I certainly don't lump all
pianos into one category but merely wanted to point out that there are a lot
of pianos out there.  In my experience, I've seen both good and bad pianos
with the same name on the front.  Therefore, I would tend to reserve
judgement on a brand and prefer to see the individual instrument.

The other problem we encounter is that we tend to often base our opinions on
the instruments we've seen.  This might lead us to form an opinion based on
too small a sample to be representative or on isntruments that don't reflect
the current product from a company (for better or worse.)

Okay, there's my late night musing (after tuning way too many pianos today)
and I hope it's at least a little intelligible.

I know I certainly won't be recommending that Lester spinet that was on my
list to tune today. <grin>

Allan
Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Gilreath Piano & Organ Co.