Quality in Pianos -- again

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Thu, 06 Apr 2000 11:40:37 +0200

Del you ask make a lot of good points below... But the key question is again..
(as you phrased it this time) "On what do we judge quality ?"

I would agree that "how" something is accomplished is much less important then
the "result". But to answer, from my own point of view,  this question more
specifically I would say this:

First and formost I look for very solid and very presice workmanship. Put
another way... a sloppy installed pinblock is just that, and a well worked
perfect fit is also just that. This difference is obvious and very easily
quantifiable. Manufacturers that consistently show me lots of slopp just loose
lots of points in my "ratings book". I have little respect for such. Those that
consistently show me lots of precision, attention to detail, gain points.

Secondly I look for longevity and stability concerns. How long does a piano hold
up ? Will it go drastically out of tune at the first sign of rain? (trightly
put, but you get my meaning). Is the action overly sensitive to climatic
changes? How about how it stands up to hard use? To no small degree this is
affected by the workmanship criteria, but also to the selection of materials
used in assembly.

Thirdly I look for sound quality. This is much more difficult to judge, yet if
one turns the coin upside down and look at what is simply unacceptable sound
instead of what is acceptable (or even "good") sound then some headway is
possible enough. Sound projection over distance also is a concern in this
regard.

Lastly I look for combinations of these three. The best pianos contain the best
possible charachteristics of all of these things.

When recommending a piano then I try and look at how its to be used. If its a
new beginner then I think that the most important point is that the piano is
stable, and dependable.(which generally also means that it is pretty well built
to begin with)  Sound concerns are of much less importance here (grin within
reason) as one needs to achieve some level of proficiency before one is able to
begin to exploit sound characteristics anyways. Sound should be clean to be
sure.. but above and beyond that... nahhh.. not for beginners.

If a piano is to be used by demanding players with high levels of ability then
we are in a whole different ball park and I have to look very closely before I
would recommend anything but a piano that scores high on the above criteria.

Design issues? Well again this is harder to quantify and gets back into "how"
one accomplishes a thing as much as anything else. And in the end, as long as a
piano meets these aformentioned criteria, then the design must be pretty good in
any case, or it simply wouldnt be able to do so.

One thing that caught my eye below was your preference for sand cast plates. I
am curious to know why you prefer these.

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.