Interesting article

LTpianoman@AOL.COM LTpianoman@AOL.COM
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 02:12:28 EDT

Richard,

Below is an excerpt from the site you provided. Thanks. After reading it, and
the rest of the info on the site, it seemed to me that this Subjective Tone
theory (or theorem by now), would explain why unisons sound flatter (or
sharper, I forget) than their respective single strings played seperately.
Any thoughts?

Larry Trischetta, Pocono NE Chapter,
Scranton, PA

From: http://sleepy.millikin.edu/~jaskill.nsm.faculty.mu/subpitch.html  (John
Askill, Millikin University):
A facinating series of experiments were conducted by Diana Deutsch, Professor
of Psychology at the University of California at San Diego and shown in the
film "What is Music" (Nova, Coronet Films). In it she subjected a listener to
one series of tones in the left ear and another series in the right ear. The
resulting effect was a totally different series of tones, subjective tones.
The same effect was produced by listening to orchestra music produced by two
or more sections of an orchestra playing at the same time. In fact, pieces of
subjective music have been written in which two instruments, such as flutes,
play two different sequences of tones at the same time. The resulting tones
being the melody, a subjective melody.