A440 under fire (1986 PTG Press Release and Resolution)

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 19:47:06 EDT

In a message dated 4/7/00 5:55:25 PM Central Daylight Time, richardb@c2i.net
(Richard Brekne) writes:

<< I love it... the more of this you all can dig up the better.. grin..

I think your premise is very sound, Richard.  You will find plenty to support
the use of A440 as a rigid pitch standard and virtually nothing with any
credibility that supports any other pitch.  You will only find anecdotal use
of other pitches.

Even the use of a cycle or two higher because it is believed that the
orchestra's pitch drifts higher or because it is believed that some
instrumentalists push the pitch in the upper registers does not justify using
another pitch than 440.  If the orchestra really does drift higher but
listens to the A4 from the piano as its starting pitch, it will also drift
higher from an initial 441, 442 or whatever pitch just as easily as it does
from 440.  So, nothing whatsoever is gained by starting from a higher pitch.

The same goes for trying to match the piano with the orchestra's violin
section.  If the violins push the pitch in their upper registers, this is an
incentive and reason to use more stretch in the piano's higher registers but
not a reason to use a higher pitch at A4.

Using a cycle or two higher pitch does not put a strain on vocalists.  It is
not enough difference to be a factor.  It can, however be a problem with
other instruments which are fixed pitched or which cannot have their pitch
changed easily, notably the double reeds, the oboe and bassoon.  Also, the
oboe and bassoon won't be able to lower their pitch to 440 if their reeds are
made to blow a higher pitch.  So, if there is an orchestra who for whatever
irrational reason uses a higher pitch, you may still have to do what they
want even though you know that their reason and need for the different pitch
is baseless and purely psychological.

I'd like to point out as well that the issues of A4 at 440 and temperament
are separate.  You will not find the same kind of declarations supporting the
use of Equal Temperament (ET) as you do for A-440.  For some reason however,
many people seem to think that the use of ET is so much assumed and implied,
that it isn't even necessary to mention it.

One thing that wanting a different pitch does demonstrate however, is that
not everybody wants what is considered to be the standard or usual.  Some
believe that a higher pitch will make the music "brighter".  If so, would it
ever be appropriate to make *all* music "brighter"?  If you wanted a more
vibrant sound for Romantic music, for example, does the early music have to
suffer in order to satisfy the Romantic and Modern?

There are ways to satisfy these desires, at least when it comes to the tuning
and preparation of the piano but there is much misunderstanding and many
misguided attempts.  Somehow, manipulating the temperament is just not seen
as something that will benefit music.  If the idea is even pondered, it is
rejected before it is even tried as ground which should never be tread upon.
Everyone already knows that only ET is acceptable and that anything else is
just plain wrong.

And here I haven't tuned a piano properly in some 11 years.  Shame, shame.
The only note I ever get right is the A4 and even that isn't what some people
want.  Now how do you suppose I could go around and make a living doing what
I do wrong virtually all of the time?  You have to do what you think is right
or at least as close to it as you can get under the circumstances.

Regards,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin