ball fitting for tuning hammer

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 23:36:56 -0700

I developed some pain in lower arm, mainly from using those muscles while
tuning.  I tried a wonderwand and changed my hammer technique by using my
whole arm and shoulder instead of the muscles of the lower arm.  The ball
helps in reducing the gripping of the tuning lever.  Of course after a
couple of years the hammer broke at the threads/tip and I was left with and
ball in and little else.  I went back to a top of the line Schaff extension
and continued with care in my hammer technique.  I have had little trouble
with pain until recently and I'm thinking about a ball type again.  I looked
at Keith Bowman's hammers and liked one in particular but $245.00 was more
than I was able to swing at the time.  The one I like had a triangular end
to the handle, rounded and comfortable.  I think I can get a new wonderwand
for $60.00?

David I.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Clyde Hollinger
Sent: Friday, April 07, 2000 3:38 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org; BOWRPT@paonline.com
Subject: Re: ball fitting for tuning hammer

Terry and list,

What one person finds a tremendous improvement, another may find a step
backward.

Recently someone gave me a Wonderwand to try.  It has a 2" diameter ball on
the
end.  After about 20 minutes of use I strongly disliked it; my hand hurt.
Does
it make a difference that I tune lefthanded?  Should I give it more time?
If
the ball is right for everyone, why are most tuning levers in the supplier
catalogues still of the standard configuration?  In the most recent Schaff
catalog, there are no ball-type levers available at all.

It would be interesting to know how many on this list have switched to "the
ball."

I am also interested in the custom-made levers by Keith Bowman.  I attended
his
class on tuning levers a year or two ago, and I was quite impressed with his
input.  Has anyone on this list bought one?  Since they are very expensive,
don't want to order one if I end up not using it anyway.  Basically I'm
happy
with what I have now, but I'm willing to consider other options.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT

P. S.  If your name is Terry, who is Charly?  I've always wondered that.