Interesting article

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 08 Apr 2000 21:55:27 -0600

Hi Jim,
           Typically it's around 0.3 to 0.5 cent when 3 strings are coupled
in the 'killer octave" area.  My theory is that the bridge is making a
wider excussion with all 3 strings coupled, and it is having a self damping
effect.  It seems like the only logical explaination that I can come up
with. May be I'm out to lunch, but no one seems to have a valid alternate
explaination?
Regards Roger

>Now to the other subject of single strings exhibiting a difference of pitch
>from three strings which are tuned identically. In my studies, I found
>that this difference exhibits itself more in the 5th and early 6th
>octave on the piano and not as much elsewhere. I have not found 1 and 2
>cent variances as some have claimed. What are your findings? I find
>greater differences between the pitches of the prompt sound and the
>later decay sound (the TuneLab shows this quite clearly). It is easy to
>confuse these two sources.

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.
306-665-0213