Another Recital in 1/7 Comma Meantone

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 10:27:49 EDT

In a message dated 4/10/00 9:06:54 AM Central Daylight Time,
AMeyer2988@AOL.COM writes:

<< I could never do this as I tune for a lot of Famous people that expect it
 be like it was as the last showroom they were in. The Orchestra couldn't
 handle it. I could just see Neil Sedaka singing in "1/7" and he playes
 classical also.

 Alan L. Meyer
 Assoc. Member
 Las Vegas, NV       PS: Do you tune this way by ear?

This is what virtually everybody thinks and says,  "I could never do that
because...(insert any of the many irrational fears or reasons) so I just tune
Equal Temperament (ET)". What I am saying is that this notion is without
foundation.  Many who tune by ear in fact do not really tune ET but don't
realize it.  Those who depend entirely on an ETD also have no way of knowing
how accurate the results are or whether those results are really ET either.

I've heard plenty of pianos tuned for professional, public performances that
were in a backwards version of an HT, Reverse Well.  If an artist and the
orchestra can accept Reverse Well, they can accept an HT or a modern HT type
temperament.  Something tells me that the name itself, 1/7 Comma Meantone,
scares you without you having any idea what it actually sounds like.  I'll
bet that if you actually heard a piano tuned this way played by a
professional and no one informed you, you would never recognize the
difference.  Most people don't.

The 1/7 Comma Meantone is difficult to tune accurately by ear.  Several years
ago, I figured out a way to use the SAT to produce it by preprogramming a
specific sequence of "Correction Figures".  I tune the octaves by Direct
Interval programming.  Once I have the program stored, I use it over and over
again.  There is also a set of FAC Correction Figures for 1/7 Comma Meantone
but I never use that approach.

Regards,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin