Another Recital in 1/7 Comma Meantone

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 09:51:18 EDT

Greetings all,
     Some housekeeping here in the errata dept:

Bill Bremmer writes:
>Now, as for the EBVT, Ed Foote's proclamation still holds:  No one has
>EVER  been able to tune it other than myself.

     No proclamation here on my part,  I believe Bremmer himself stated that
he hadn't seen anyone "get his EBVT right".    And I believe him.

Bremmer again,
>As Ed Foote says, the only way that ANYONE will ever be interested in tuning
> any kind of temperament other than ET is if they can do it with deviations
>of an FAC program.

       A more correct, (and logical)  interpretation of what I said was that
the information for aurally tuning the temperaments has languished for 50
years in the work of Barbour and Veroli, while the tuning community at large
shunned even their  investigation.  It was not until the programmable
machines allowed the working tuner  easy reproduction of the  temperaments
that there has been a resurgence in their use.  A short survey of temperament
awareness over the last 50 years seems to make this obvious.

And in a twist of logic, Mr. Bremmer concludes:

>Since I never do that, I don't teach that.  So what I
>do,  whatever that is,  it is not worth teaching, in Ed Foote's opinion.

     That is not my opinion.  Anyone's teaching methods will show their worth
in the actions taken by the students,  it matters little what other
"teachers" say.  I am trying to convince as many technicians as possible to
begin investigating a wider variety of temperaments.  I do this in my own
way.  If Mr Bremmer has a different approach,  go for it,  but don't hold me
or others responsible for its success.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT