Bird calls/what does this have to do with anything?

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 22:47:04 -0600

Hi Jim,
            This must qualify as one of the most learned dissertations that
I have seen on this very controversial topic.

A keeper for the files.

roger

Ron;
> Easy question actually. It is a distal approximation delved from the
African
>Hooded Raven...you know the big black birds that shade the water by
spreading
>their wings over their head so they can better see the fish they hunt?  The
>distal approximation part comes the length of wing span which exceeds the
>birds beak tip combined with total wing length from root to tip.
> Manufactureers used this proportion/ratio to determine where to stop the
>dampers based on the theory, as far as the birds are concerned, that
anything
>past their beak...(or damper stop point) is interesting but essentially
>useless...therefore they might as well let it do what it wants to do and not
>waste time and energy fooling with it.
> Unfortunately there are several sub-species of these Ravens and each have a
>different beak-to-wingtip ratio.....obviously different manufacturers used
>different sub-species of Ravens and consequently we have as many different
>stop points for dampers as there were sub-species used.
> Although this, i.e Distal Raven formulae, is a rather well known fact in
the
>circles of the intelligentsia of our craft I'm not quite sure just how the
>rabbits come into play............Hmmm.
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.