update on an old situation

Pianofxrguy@AOL.COM Pianofxrguy@AOL.COM
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 10:49:12 EDT

List,
    A few months back, when I was "tunethepno" instead of "pianofxrguy," I
wrote in about a grand piano that had been vandalized in a little church in
the countryside. I received  much good advice from the list and I thank you
all for that.
    The piano had been flipped upside down and slammed in to the front pew.
When it was set back up we discovered that the vandals had reached inside and
tried to rip out the dampers. They were not successful in pulling any out
(maybe that's when they got mad enough to turn it over) but they had twisted
up a lot of the damper wires in the process. There were no cracks in the
plate, soundboard, or action frame. The worst of the damage was to the case.
    The refinisher/restorer that I hired did a remarkable job, and the piano
is looking better than it has in years. He did some creative repair to the
music rack that saved us from having to try to replace it with a close match.
If you knew where the gouges were on the lid and body you can find evidence
of a couple of them, but I don't think you would find them without knowing
the situation.
    Several of you said the dampers would be the hardest part. They were. But
everything came out all right. New damper felt, new keytops, action
regulation and major tuning. The action feels a little less responsive than
it should, though and the sustain is not as long as it should be. I bedded
the action frame and checked the crown and they seem OK. The action regs are
within normal parameters. I am open to any suggestions on what to look for.
The pianist says it "just doesn't play the same" and it doesn't "sustain like
it did." I am going down next week to recheck everything and maybe do some
more aggressive voicing.
    As a matter of interest, they caught the guys 90 miles up the road for
other crimes and found out that they were the ones that did this damage kind
of by accident. These two guys were breaking into those little brick
buildings at the base of radio, microwave and cellular transmission towers
and loading up on the high tech electronics. They were apparently a little
high on something and thought they might find something interesting in a
little church along the highway. The drugs were the only apparent explanation
of the violence to the piano and organ after stealing the sound system.
    Anyway, thanks for previous advice and for any forthcoming,

        John Stroup
        South Bend, Ind.