Another Recital in 1/7 Comma Meantone

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 11:20:30 +0000

Hi Avery,
     I think the first step is to tune a piano in meantone for them to try and see
how they like it. Encourage them to play with it a while to overcome the initial
shock and to begin to appreciate the beauty of it.  IMHO, there are great
possibilities with Jazz musicians as these individuals are often the most open
minded and unabashed about trying new things and their hearing is often very
acute.  I have yet to meat a musician that isn't fascinated by the temperaments
once they understand. Perhaps if they have two pianos in one of their rehearsal
rooms where one could be in meantone. Whatever is done, they should be shown what
the differences are and allow time to experiment.
I thought the SATs had the offsets, at lest the newer ones?
-Mike