Coleman 11

David M. Porritt dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 14:45:06 -0500

Ed:

Thanks for the numbers.  I'm going to do some more HTs around here and try to develop some interest.  I don't want the current crop of students to miss the opportunity to hear some other temperaments.  I didn't hear anything but ET all my life, and now that's the only thing I enjoy.  Even the most mild non-ET temperaments just sound "wrong" to me and I don't want them to get this same prejudice.

dave

On 4/13/00 at 11:36 AM A440A@AOL.COM wrote:

>Dave asks:
>>Do you have at hand the offsets from ET for the Coleman 11?  I'd love to
>>try it.
>
>Greetings,
>  Yes,  to change an ET into Coleman 11 alter the notes by the following
>amount:
>A  = 0
>A# = 3
>B   = -2
>C  =  4
>C# =1
>D  =1
>D# = 1
>E  =-2
>F  =5
>F# = -1
>G  =3
>G#= 1
>
>  This tuning produces two thirds of 18 cents (F#-A# and Db-F), the tonic
>thirds for the keys of C ( 8 cents) , G, D, F and Bb are improved. The
>remainder of of the keys in the middle ground are so closely aligned that the
>new listener would be hardpressed to tell the difference between it and ET.
>Jim has a whole series of this style, gradually increasing the contrast
>between keys until his # 16, which is just one cent away from a Young of
>1799.
>     I can say this about this tuning,  about 50% of first time listeners
>don't notice it is a departure, but 100% of the pianists feel the difference
>immediately!  I use this tuning a lot,  and am really interested in how
>others feel about it, after they hear  it.
>Regards,
>Ed Foote

David M. Porritt
dporritt@swbell.net