Mason & Hamlin

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 19:28:22 -0700

I have an accomplished concert pianist customer with an A, built in 1992.
He loves it but make sure your technician doesn't come in and start needling
and filing hammers.  This happened with this pianist before I came on the
scene.  The "tooner" didn't like the tone so he started experimenting and
then,"horrors", the hammers didn't file like Steinway hammers and he didn't
know what to do...he was fired too late.  Speaking of filing Renner
Blues...how do you do it?  I keep getting ugly looking hammers and I do know
how to reshape.  I remember a class with Chris Robinson some years ago where
he used belt sanders and said the hammers needed at least 120 jabs in the
lower shoulders before they were at their potential...I may be slightly
exaggerating...

David I.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of JAMES CUSUMANO
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2000 3:54 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Mason & Hamlin

I recently went to a dealer in Manhattan and checked out
a Mason & Hamlin Model A.  It had a beautiful tone and touch.
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this
model from a technician's viewpoint.  Is the tuning stable?
Are there any particular trouble spots one should be aware of? etc.
Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you.

James Cusumano