update on an old situation

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 23:01:57 EDT

In a message dated 4/13/00 10:21:24 AM Central Daylight Time,
Pianofxrguy@AOL.COM writes:

<< The action feels a little less responsive than
 it should, though and the sustain is not as long as it should be. I bedded
 the action frame and checked the crown and they seem OK. The action regs are
 within normal parameters. I am open to any suggestions on what to look for.
 The pianist says it "just doesn't play the same" and it doesn't "sustain
like
 it did." I am going down next week to recheck everything and maybe do some
 more aggressive voicing.

Two things come to mind regarding the sustain. Although there is crown, and
nothing appears to be broken, I get a feeling that the plate came up from the
soundboard a little. Not enough to notice, but enough to cause the sustain to
be different. Try tightening the plate bolts/srews. If that doesn't do it,
you might have to restring the piano.

I would guess the same with the action. Perhaps the screws were stripped, and
maybe if you take the whole action apart, and inspect the frame, you might
find some cracks.

     As a matter of interest, they caught the guys 90 miles up the road for
 other crimes and found out that they were the ones that did this damage kind
 of by accident. >>

How can you accidentally turn a piano upside down?

Willem Blees