help wanted...very long

Greg Newell gnewell@EN.COM
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 23:57:54 -0400

Brian,
    I have had a similar experience and I think you'd do well by continuing to
wean yourself as much as is comfortable as soon as it is comfortable. It's
always nice to hold on to that security blanket but sooner or later you just
have to let go. Maybe now's not the time but you do have the luxury of letting
go gradually. Offer them less days to fill and perhaps they will be more
consistent in filling them.
    Tunings come in sporadically at times and it's very hard to plan for that
whether your a dealer  or striking out on your own. I think you are wise to
charge a for rate and tune less filling your time with other things. It seems
you've had some rebuilding experience. Why not purchase a few dead soldiers and
rebuild and sell  them giving you something to do in the off time with the
eventual promise of a budget filler once it sells? Many a tech has made their
start this way but perhaps this is too obvious.
    You probably already have a good idea on how to make your clientele grow but
here's a thought on something (no cost) that you can do. I always offer my
customers $5 off their next service for every customer they send me. Some ignore
it, some are just coupon people by nature and jump at the chance to earn money
off. Neither type of person will open their mouth with positive comments unless
they were impressed so work a little faster and do a little more. Vacuum the
insides ( a crowd pleaser) and take the time to explain what you see inside.
The days of "it's broke, it needs fixin, it'll cost $_____ are over in my
opinion. My customers seem to appreciate the added time I take to show and
explain in not too great a detail unless they ask. I've given them credit for
some intelligence which they appreciate and have made them my partner in the
care of their instrument. Good PR.
    I'm sure you'll do very well. (Glad you don't live too close to me). It's
always the first few years that are the toughest.

Greg Newell