Piano trucks

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 08:24:00 -0400

At 12:25 AM 04/14/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear List,
>
>     I've just sold and will install on Tuesday a new piano truck
>(carriage) for a Yamaha G-3. I've not had to put a piano on one before
>but told the customer I would if they didn't want to deal with it. They
>don't. Is there a special procedure for installation or is it just one
>leg at a time. I'm guessing that if I go this way that once I get two
>piano legs on the truck the last truck leg will shoot up in the air
>under the piano. If this is the correct procedure anyway and if so,
>which two legs first? I'm guessing the fronts first, no? All help
>welcome, thanks!
>
>Greg Newell

I think Yamaha has the caster a one piece unit so you may need to
remove one leg at a time to remove the wheels. A handy support
I have been using is two pieces of 2x6 cut to 26". These are connected
with butt hinges to store flat but will open to 90 degrees to support the
piano for leg work. It's also useful when moving a grand if there is
a time factor between lifting and removing the leg especially on heavy
pianos.

Installing a truck is best done with two guys. One lifts while the other sets
the truck under the leg. "Dry fit" first by placing the ends of the truck
on the
treble sides of the legs. Swing the back leg away so it will not rise and
scratch the back leg while you are installing the front legs first.
Tighten the bolts once it is installed.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.