Coleman 11

David M. Porritt dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 10:59:50 -0500

Ed:

I put a Coleman 11 on the studio piano of our most senior accompanist.  I left her a note so she'll know why it sounds as it does.  I'm anxious for feedback on the results.  She only accompanies singers.

dave

On 4/14/00 at 9:13 AM A440A@AOL.COM wrote:

>Greetings,
>Inre the Temperament Revival Dog and Pony show going to the Lone Star State,
>Dave writes:
>>
>>Thanks for the invitation.  That should be a great day.  I'll check my
>>calendar and see if I can do it.
>
>Please do.  Siege has been laid on Texas and we need all the help we can get.
>(:)}}
>     I recently received a rejection from one school there, even though a
>sponsor had already offered to underwrite the program!  Their reason was that
>they were "not quite prepared for the aesthetic implications in our
>proposal".   Whoooeeee doggie!  I know fear when I smell it.........  I would
>have written them a letter explaining that if they wait until they are "quite
>prepared", they will always be followers,  but I may need that bridge later
>for kindling, so don't want to burn it just yet.
>      Schools are critical for change, I find students to be far more
>adventurous than their professors, but they are all important to the
>avante-garde, and the use of temperaments is definitely avante-garde at the
>moment.  It will not always be so, however.     It is only a matter of time
>before the schools, factories, and stores begin to see the worth in a variety
>of temperaments, perhaps only when the true cost of mono-temperament is made
>clear, perhaps when they find a way to use it as a selling point.  Widespread
>conversion is a question of esthetics vs. Money, so a combination of the two
>is probably the way to make the most progress.
>     There will be schools that seek the avante-garde, (go Avery!), and there
>will be others that run and hide from it.   The former are to be pursued,
>wooed, encouraged and helped,  the latter are to be pitied, but don't slam
>the door on them, they will want to play too, once they see it is safe and
>everybody else is having more fun than they are.
>Regards,.
>Ed Foote
>(do they really have rattlesnake problems on campus down there????)

David M. Porritt
dporritt@swbell.net
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University