Coleman 11..Mr. Ed.

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 20:38:22 EDT

In a message dated 4/14/2000 6:26:44 PM, Ed F. wrote:

<< I was comparing mono-temperament environments to multi-temperament ones,
not one instrument compared to another.>>

So was I Ed. Baseball is played with one bat and one ball whereas golf is
played with one ball also but.... a larger selection of 'bats" :-) thus the
difference between a tuner with just ET in his repertoire as opposed to one
who has a selection of temperaments he is comfortable with. Don't tell a
baseball fantatic or a golf addict that they aren't having "fun" or that they
could have "more" "fun"
if they only played the other sport--- :-) It would of course might be
different "fun" perhaps but "more fun"? We all like a little variety at times
and perhaps that is what you are seeing in your
customers...................BESIDES I am agreeing with you in general but
disagreeing with your phraseology in 'three' instances.  The use of those
words places an arrogance to your message/post that needn't be there, isn't
there in your class or personal conversation.

<<"Well,  for starters, you will not find the word "historical" in my post.
I try to be clear, but sometimes people infer stuff I didn't intend, sorry if
this is one of them.">>
 Excuse me? Isn't this thread about a "Temperament Revival?" And the use of
temperaments other than ET, ergo 'historic' or other 'modern' interpretations
of historical tunings?...if not I guess I 'have' missed the point.

<<"What I am discussing is adding to ones tuning ability.  I think going to a
multi-temperament world is a move forward.  There is music being written
today in temperaments other than ET, and we can either be part of it, or
anchor ourselves in the intonation that we inherited.">>

  It definitely would be a move for the large majority of tuners today,
however.....a "move forward"? We ain't talking about "Back to the Future"
here :-)
 We are talking about a more general use of 'historic' temperaments and those
newer temperaments based on 'historical' theories aren't we?  Music has
always been written in more than ET.....what's the point here?  Besides
"anchors" aren't a bad thing to have aboard :-)

  The point I was trying to make was simply that something being new or
different or revived does not make it  better anymore than one can say Sitar
music is better than Piano music.....though they are difinitely different!
Even then 'some' temperaments  I have heard sounded more akin to Sitar tuning
than anything else. :-)

  So if'n y'all don lisen to me I gwan send some excess rattlesnakes to Masah
Avery fo yo visit, or brings em to DC fo you. :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)