Front duplex noise

Doug Mahard nlm@csu.cted.net
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 22:23:30 -0400

My weekend for questions I guess.

First appointment today was a 1986 Young Chang 7' grand.  Noticed a "tiny"
sound in the capo bar area and when I put my finger on the strings in the
front of the capo bar the noise went away or was greatly reduced.   I cut up
a new mute strip I had and wedge it under and against the front underside of
the capo bar effectively cleaning up the sound of that area.

Next appoinment was a 1916 S&S M same thing but not as bad.  Didn't do
anything here.

What causes this and would it be more effective to braid some cloth through
the strings rather then the muting technique describe above?

Doug Mahard

PS Did anyone hear the NPR show "What Du Ya Know" last week with Michael
Feldman.  The young kid playing jazz guitar was amazing.  Took John Tulane
and his band to a whole other level.