Front duplex noise

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 09:18:48 -0400

Hi Doug,

That front duplex noise is fun, isn't it?  Especially when trying to tune!

I sometimes will wedge in some felt here and there while I'm tuning to block
out those obnoxious noises.  I think there have even been some more "custom"
tools to do the same job, i.e.. magnetic strips with cloth, etc.  The
imagination can take you a long way.

I would hesitate to change the thing permanently unless the customer said
something which would indicate that they don't like that particular sound.
I know it's irritating to us tuner types, but many times, the people who
play the piano don't play it in such a fashion as to hear what we hear when
we tune, and that little 'ping', or 'ring', or 'ching', whatever you want to
call it, can give a brightness of overall tone that won't be there without
it.  I won't call it good or bad.  There's arguments either way.

That being said, there are some things you can do if there are just a couple
of them that are really obnoxious that won't show much. (for appearance's
sake)  You can always mute with felt, and sometimes if you wedge a piece in
like you described, a person might not even notice.  Sting braid will be
much more visible.  You can also take a little brush and 'paint' on a little
bit of lacquer onto those duplex speaking lengths.  You'll be surprised how
that will shut them up.  (I've wanted to try using a touch of the medium
viscosity CA in the same way, just to see what would happen sometime, but
haven't tried it yet.)  Even if you use black lacquer, which you would think
would be highly visible, it's not really noticeable unless you're really
looking for it, and even then, you might miss it.

Just had to add my $0.02

Best wishes,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA