Coleman 11

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 14:29:11 EDT

Jim Writes:
>"We believe to be that which we perceive.
>We perceive more easily that which we believe,or wish to.
>Our perceptions and our beliefs form our reality.
>Therefor, perception is our reality, a reality
>that is not needfully true to any but ourselves."

My perception is that the use of equal temperament for music written before
1850 is like the dark coating which was on the Sistene Chapel ceiling.
     There was a lot of color  covered up, and the contrasts inherent in the
original were very subdued by changes which occurred gradually, over a long
period of time.
      The undoing of these effects  was opposed by many that felt tradition
was best represented by the status quo.  However, now that a fuller
representation of the artist's creation, with its more original colors,  is
accessible, the emotional impact of the work is found to be greater.
   I think anything that heightens the emotional impact of art is worth
pursuing, and for the art that has been created on a piano, equal temperament,
 in and of itself, is not enough.  For me, that is the big deal with the
temperaments.
Regards,
Ed Foote