Player Query

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 22:23:25 -0500

> I have not done a lower unit by itself but my best guess would be about 16
> hours. Beware of the fact that if the stack hasn't been rebuilt the
> increased performance of the lower unit may cause problems to show up in
the
> stack and the customer may blame you for it.
>
> John Dewey

Right, like sucking rubber crumbs and dust under the pouches, and through
out the unit.  Or old original material pneumatics to fail in 3 days.  Or
some wheezing old Gulbransen to exipire in two hours or less.  If it is a
Shultz, I have wasted my breath. BTW  what brand are we talking about?  ; )

    If the lower unit is the pump bellows and resevoir, patch the resevoir
first and at least see how the roll motor tempo control and re-roll cut off
work . Check the leather "check straps" on the back of the bellows.  These
if leaky can be replaced temp by bellows cloth for observation and estimate
purposes .  Then measure the vacuum diff between the "lower unit" and stack.
If the stack is leaky (more than 5 inches diff)  your patch will be OK until
they decide to rebuild the stack (upper unit).  Measure resevoir vacuum
before you patch for before and after comparison. If there is no difference
you might not want to go further until you have determined the lower unit is
free of wood worms in which case a match might be the better remedy.
    After you spend the 10 to 20 hours trying to get 10 more inches out of a
lower unit rebuild, you might , (or  your client if he knew) might be swayed
to go with the patch, which BTW should be less than 2 hrs including
diagnostics. The advantage to this is that original material will be
preserved, and will still be in condition for replacement in another 10 to
20 years if and when they opt for the "purist rebuild". Or if the material
is so shot and the patch does fail in a few days, then you know a complete
rebuild is necessary.  But you should have a pretty good sense if a patch
will hold after poking and prodding for five minutes.
    To patch the resevoir use nylon cloth and plastic glue.  I think these
are still available from Schaff or APSCO.   Traditionally leather patches
were used on the pump bellows and roll motor corners.  The modern materials
work better for this IMHO.
    Anyhow players are a lot of fun, (and work) and a heck of a lot more
interesting to talk and write about than regulating  a Steinway.  ; )   ---
J. A. Flameproofric