Yellow Page ads

Wallace Scherer p003520b@pb.seflin.org
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 07:35:10 -0400 (EDT)

I don't remember who asked about the yellow page ads, but here's what I
remember from a survey I did on this list about three years ago.

* Most technicians who have YP ads believe that a "presence" in the YP is
very important in order to confirm a name or phone number and to add a
sense of legitimacy to the business. For this purpose, the cheapest
listing available is all that's necessary.

* Most techs having display ads thought they were NOT worthwhile unless
they emphasized a particular specialization within the trade.

* The closer to the top of the list you are, the more calls you get by
those just letting their "fingers do the walking" without any other point
of reference.

* Those other "Yellow Pages", not the local phone company's book, are
generally not used that much, hence not worth the cost of the ad.

Here's another thing I have found out here in Florida. Even though I'm at
or near the top of the list, for those just calling through the YP
listing, price is important. I don't get much business from my ad because
I generally charge $70 for a first time tuning and another local tech
only charges $50! I'm thinking about what I should do. Maybe a voucher
through SaveCashSave.com which is a new advertising medium you might want
to look into.

Wally Scherer
Lake Worth, FL

Send e-mail to: WallyTS@iname.com or