Coleman 11

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 09:57:13 EDT

In a message dated 4/17/00 8:21:00 AM Central Daylight Time,
dennisb@willmar.com (Dennis Benson) writes:

<< I'm confused... I've heard two sides to the "Well Tempered Clavier" story.
 Did Bach write it to show ET or to show how each piece could be written to
 sound in the current temperment?

What I have always heard is that the Well-Tempered Tuning idea came about
during Bach's time as a response to the restrictions of the 1/4 and 1/5 Comma
Meantone temperaments.  The Meantones were considered to have only a portion
of the available tonalities useful.  The remote keys, with 4 or more sharps
or flats were unusable because they were musically too harsh.

The Well-Tempered Tuning (Well-Temperament) for short, supposedly made all
keys equally accessible and thus, it may have been called "Equal Temperament"
even though it is not at all ET as we know it today.  Apparently Groves
Dictionary made this same error which contributed to the confusion for
decades.  You still see it written today that the Well-Tempered Clavier music
was written for ET but this is a factual error.

There is a reason and purpose behind the choice of each key in that music.
If you play any of the music in ET and transpose it to any other key, you
won't hear a problem.  But if you play any of the music in a true
Well-Tempered Tuning and become aware of the special character that the
chosen key offers, then play the music in an unrelated key, you will clearly
hear the inappropriateness.

There is a plethora of recordings of the Well-Tempered Clavier music in ET
including a whole 5 CD set of Wanda Landowska playing it all on a harpsichord
tuned with a Strobe Tuner (ugh!).  While many have praised that recording, I
consider it unlistenable.  I wonder when someone will make the first
recording of this music in an appropriate temperament?

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin