Flange bushing

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 22:00:50 -0400

I would hazard a guess that the bushings are in the condition they are
because the angle at which the hammer tail engages the backcheck
strains the bushing, since you will be removing the shanks from the rail
it is a good idea to square the tail to the shank and turn the backcheck
square also. Otherwise the problem will reoccur.

Regards,

Jon Page

At 07:31 PM 04/18/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>     I'm repairing a Style 500 Kawai grand from a school. The action is
>quite clean and solid with decent hammers. For some reason, the hammer
>flange bushings have compacted which causes a rattling sound. I
>re-bushed one flange and this solved the problem. I was just wondering
>if someone out there might specialize in this tedious (and skilled) work
>as I'd prefer not to do a whole set. Of course, if nobody does, I will!
>
>Philip Jamison

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net