AUDIO RECORDING OF ACTUAL TUNING

Wilsons wilson53@MARSHALL.EDU
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 09:40:30 -0400

Larry, I like this idea for Tom.  My comment would be that while a feel
develops for beat speed, the early stages demand an exacting kind of
counting.  Perhaps it would be helpful for Tom to practice setting
temperaments and then checking them.  As for learning to hear beats, they're
slower in the tenor.  Weaning is a necessary first step; and learning to hear
the beats is easier in the lower sections.  Tom *can* hear beats by his own
admission -- otherwise, how could he tune the octaves and unisons?  The
problem is in hearing faster beats, and that's what we all have to go through
in the learning process.

Wally Wilson