pinz

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 11:41:45 EDT

>>Another observation/question: The fore/aft spacing between rows of bridge
>>pins within a unison tends to become much wider in the low tenor than
>in
>>the treble, and in longer scales more so than in shorter ones. Is this
>>mostly to prevent having to carve away half of the bridge when notching,
>or
>>is there a more exotic reasoning behind it than I'm aware of?

As the angle of approach lessens, there is more bridge to cover, so yes,  it
would require extensive notching to keep the same footprint.
      There may be impedance questions, since wider string contact  may favor
more efficient trasmission of the lower frequencies, or large contact areas
may suppress the higher ones.  If so,   increased contact with longer strings
and lower notes would be desirable.  I bet Del F.  could post some pretty
pertinent thoughts on this topic......?????
Regards,
Ed