voicing "brush"

Charly Tuner charly_tuner@hotmail.com
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 16:59:51 PDT

Being a newbie I'm sure this idea isn't new, but I experimented on the
hammers of my own old vertical by very lightly "brushing" the hammers with a
soft (brass colored) wire brush, about the size of a large toothbrush. I
followed the contour of the hammers just as if I was using a sanding paddle,
and with only a few very light strokes, stopped and played each note. My
piano was sounding very harsh and bright before, but now it has a very
pleasing, warm tone! I was quite surprised at the result. I had used a
solution of isopropyl & "snuggles" on a few of the harsher sounding hammers
a while back, and that also worked well, but I like this method better. I
think I may try this on some of the trade in, cheapies at the store, like
this one Sherman Clay console that's brighter than a Roman Candle..almost
sounds like a harsichord! A few strokes with the brush should mellow it out.

Terry Peterson
Los Angeles, CA
Associate Member, PTG