Pedal function Was: Re: Pitch at breaking points

John R Fortiner pianoserv440@juno.com
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 21:40:51 -0600

On Wed, 05 Apr 2000 04:22:30 -0500 Conrad Hoffsommer
<hoffsoco@luther.edu> writes:
> At 22:52 04/04/2000 -0600, you wrote:
> >Not only that, but encyclopedias are frequently incorrect.  As an
> >example, if you have Encarta 2000, try looking under piano and
> check out
> >what they say the functions of the pedals are on a grand piano.
> (Maybe I
> >have been wrong all these years about this - NOT)
> >
> >John R. Fortiner
>

> I am (un)fortunate not to have that font of (dis)information.
> Inquiring
> minds want to know. Pedal functions sounds like something I should
> know
> sometime.
**OK Conrad.  Sorry to have been so late in getting this to you, but I
really wanted you to know what different pedals are for. :-)  The
following is a direct quote from Encarta 2000:
"The soft pedal either throws all the hammers nearer to the strings so
that the striking distance is diminished by one-half, or shifts the
hammers a little to one side so that only a sngle string instead of the
two or three is struck."
Not a completely accurate picture of what actually happens is it??  ( Oh
for the days when we had pianos with no trichords. :-)

John R. Fortiner
Billings, MT.

> [...]
> -"Rinky-Tink" attachment is modern equivalent.
>
> Swell
> "Nag's Head" - lifted entire lid with stick
> "Venetian" - shutters opened progressively
>
> Harmonic/Harmonique
> A second set of hammers or a bar which touched strings at midpoint to
> produce "echo" effect - Petzold Paris) 1829
>
> Harmonic Swell
> Piano had a double bridge system which had a separate set of dampers
> between them which could be raised o allow sympathetic vibration of
> strings
> between the bridges. - Patent Collard 1821
>
> Dolce Compana
> Weights applied pressure to soundboard at eight places, pitch was
> thus
> lowered and rapid pedaling could produce a sort of tremolo. Patent
> 1849,
> James A. Grey
> Mfg. by Boardman & Grey (Albany, NY) - Picture p. 247 Gill
>
> Cymbals
> Two or three strips of thin brass made to strike bass strings.
>
> Bassoon/Fagotzug
> Roll of parchment or stiff paper placed against strings of bottom
> octaves.
>
> Octave couplers
> Generally only added the octave above. - one early eighteenth century
> French piano could add the octave above in the treble and the octave
> below
> in the bass.
>
> Sostenudo
> Selective damper pedal
> -hold only the dampers of keys depressed when pedal is pressed.
>
> Soft/Half-blow/Hammer move/Pedale d'expression
> Moves hammers closer to the strings to reduce the force of the blow.
>
> Piano scandé
> Like above, but could move one octave at a time, several or together.
>
> Drum
> Played small drum inside of case, or struck soundboard with padded
> hammer.
> -Some had a set of tuned drums which could be played from the keys.
>
> Bells
> Played set of bells inside of case.
>
> Janissary/Turkish music
> Combination stop played bells, drum and cymbal simultaneously.
>
> Janissary
> Loesser describes a pyramid piano which had figures on either side
> holding
> bells and cymbals. This pedal combined the janissary stop with
> movement or
> the figures.
> -Hirt identifies maker as Johann Kaspar Schlimbach of Königshofen
> (Wurzburg)
>
> Genouillère
> Any stop operated by knee.
>
> Transposer
> Shifted action up or down as much as minor third.
> -Érard (Paris) and Wooley (Nottingham) moved strings and frame.
> -Edward Ryley moved keys.
> -Æolian moved action.
>

> Conrad Hoffsommer - Luther College, Decorah, IA
>
> My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.