Tuning a Grand & a Studio together

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 09:31:16 EDT

In a message dated 4/20/00 7:09:55 PM Central Daylight Time, ted@yourlink.net
writes:

<< I have been forewarned that next week the local college will want me to
tune
 a Baldwin studio piano to play with their 9 foot Steinway grand.  They
 advised me that the studio piano will not be played alone, only with the
 grand.  I have no idea what selections they will play and am inclined to do
 a FAC tuning on the grand and use the same numbers for the studio.  Does
 anyone think this will not work out OK?  Any other ideas?

 Ted Simmons

My advice would be to tune each piano by itself, just making sure both are at
A440. Tuning a Baldwin studio the same as a concert grand will make it sound
out of tune, and vise a versa. The slight differences there would be on a key
to key comparison, overall, during actual playing, the audience will not hear
any difference.

Willem